Personalize your Health Insurance

Enter your email to be contacted by one of our advisor

Personalize your employees coverages

Enter your informations to be contacted by one of our employees

Thank you for filling-up this form. We will get back to you soon.

What You Need To Know About Work Passes In Singapore!

06 Sep 2019

Having work experience abroad is great both for your profile and your personal development. It opens doors for you, and gives you plenty of opportunities afterwards. And when it comes to working abroad, Singapore is one of the first countries that we would think of thanks to its motivating work environment and to its decent quality of life.

Are you thinking about making your way to the Lion City? 

In order to work legally in Singapore, every professional must have a valid work visa. Your visa type depends on your profile, experience, and your role in the company where you are hired. To help you have a clearer idea on this topic, the UEX Team has gathered up what  you need to know regarding your Work Pass.


7 most common Work Pass types in Singapore 

If you’re a foreign professional, a manager or an executive, you are eligible for the Employment Pass! You must earn at least $3,600 a month and must have acceptable qualifications. For high-earning existing Employment Pass holders or overseas foreign professionals, there is the Personalised Employment Pass which has greater flexibility than an Employment Pass.

Skilled and semi-skilled workers can apply for the S Pass: however, they have to earn at least $2,300 a month and must meet the assessment criteria.

If you’re a foreign entrepreneur, and you want to start and operate a new business in Singapore, you can apply for the EntrePass.

For spouses and children of eligible Employment Pass or S Pass holders, there is the Dependant Pass (DP).  As a DP Holder, you are allowed to work without applying for a work visa, but your spouse or parents’ employer will need to apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) for you to work legally.

Are you coming to Singapore for an internship or an exchange? There is the Training Employment Pass for foreign professionals undergoing practical training who earn at least $3.000 a month. There is also the Work Holiday Pass for students and graduates: you must be aged 18 to 25, and must want to stay in Singapore for work and holidays for 6 months


As a Work Pass holder, how does my health coverage work?

As a foreign employee, your company may or may not provide you a health insurance. 

Employee health insurance is not mandatory for Employment Pass (EP) holders, but most of the companies provide health coverage as a part of their employee benefits. Employee benefit packages are a huge plus for companies, especially in Singapore where companies are so competitive. It can attract talents, boost their productivity at work and prevent high turnover. 

However, if you are an S-Pass holder, your employer has to provide you a health insurance. You can find out more about this in our article written on this specific topic

Are you still wondering if you are well-covered enough by your employer’s health coverage? In order to get a clear idea, first, you will need to understand your health insurance contracts. Then, if you notice that according to your needs, you are not covered enough, you could definitely top-up the coverage provided by your employer.


Am I covered by my company during my probation period?

Even if you are already covered by your company’s health insurance, you will still have to go through a probation period. Will your company cover you even during this period? What if you don’t get employed after the probation?

Some companies provide health coverage to their employees during their probation period. Depending on the company, the employee can either be covered from Day-1, or only after the probation period. 

What if your company only covers you after the probation period?

With UEX, you can subscribe to a health plan during your probation period. Originally, health insurance subscription is based on an annual basis. However, if you have no on going claim at the end of your probation period, you can either unsubscribe from your plan, or keep it as a top-up plan of your employer’s health coverage if you feel like your company insurance doesn’t cover you enough.


What if I don’t have my Work Pass anymore? 

Foreigners in Singapore who lose their job, intend to change jobs or to leave the country will  unfortunately lose their work pass, and thus, lose some rights including their access to health insurance plans.

Most of the time, a valid Work Pass is mandatory to subscribe for a health plan. An insurance plan is always attached to your country of residence, which is why you have to hold a valid Work Pass to certify your residency in Singapore.

To find out how to stay covered during your transition period, discover all you need to know and our tips in our article next week! Stay tuned 😉 


To find out more about healthcare topics in Singapore you can check our articles. To understand how your health insurance plans cover the healthcare costs, you can approach UEX’s happiness team by email or by phone for more information and guidance – and the good news is that they are super nice!

With UEX, you can obtain a quote for a health insurance contract customized to your needs and requirements – all in less than a minute!


Personalize your
Health Insurance

I want to protect
I am a
years old
My spouse is
years old.
My kid(s) are:
years old

covered by AXA, powered by UEX.
Enter your email to receive a link to your personalized profile

covered by APRIL, powered by UEX
Enter your email to receive a link to your personalized profile

FWD online offer!
now available on UEX website*
*please note that you will not be able to get any advisory for the FWD products as UEX is not a registered GI agent of this company.
Enter your email to receive a link to your personalized profile